On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 9:13 PM, "Martin v. Löwis" <mar...@v.loewis.de> wrote:
>>  ok, so - different from what's being generated by ./configure under
>> msys under wine or native win32 - what's being generated (libpython 2
>> . 5 . a and libpython 2 . 5 . dll . a) is more akin to the cygwin
>> environment.
>>
>> therefore, there's absolutely no doubt that the two are completely different.
>>
>> and on that basis, would i be correct in thinking that you _can't_ go
>> linking or building modules or any python win32 code for one and have
>> a hope in hell of using it on the other, and that you would _have_ to
>> rebuild e.g. numpy for use with a mingw32-msys-built version of
>> python?
>
> I can't comment on that, because I don't know what your port does.
> Does it not produce a .dll containing the majority of Python?

 no, it contains the minimal necessary amount of python modules,
exactly like when python is built using cygwin.  actualy, there's a
few modules that _have_ to be included.

roumen discovered that you have to have these:

_functools _functoolsmodule.c    # Tools for working with functions
and callable objects
operator operator.c  # operator.add() and similar goodies
_locale _localemodule.c  # -lintl
_struct _struct.c
_subprocess ../PC/_subprocess.c
_winreg ../PC/_winreg.c

and i've discovered that when running under wine you have to also have these:
_weakref _weakref.c

and also when running unde wine with msvcr80, so far, you have to also
have these:
collections collectionsmodule.c
thread threadmodule.c

all the rest can be done as .pyd

> And is that not called python25.dll?

 no, it's called libpython2.5.dll.a, just like when python is built
using cygwin.  the configure scripts, thanks to the cygwin build,
already end up copying that to libpython2.5.dll.

_not_ python25.dll

l.

p.s. there's nothing to stop you adding every single module and then
renaming the resultant blob to libpython25.dll - i just haven't been
given, or found, a good reason to do so yet.