Guido van Rossum wrote:
On Fri, Mar 6, 2009 at 9:54 AM, Terry Reedy <tjre...@udel.edu> wrote:

No, it is expected to "just work" because sqlite3 is (presumably) very
careful about backwards compatibility, and because the Windows DLL API
(just like the shared library API in Linux and other systems) is
designed to allow substitution of newer versions. The linkage
requirements are roughly that all entry points into a DLL (or shared
library) that are referenced by the caller (in this case the wrapper
extension module) are supported in the new version, and have the same
signature and semantics.

I have no idea, but my WinXP .../Python30/ install has

DLLs/_sqlite3.pyd 52K

This is the wrapper extension module.

DLLs/sqlite3.dll 557K

This is sqlite3 itself. I am presuming that the phrase "replace the
sqlite DLL" above refers to this one -- although the same argument
actually holds for the .pyd file, which is also a DLL (despite its
different extension).

libs/_sqlite3.lib 2K

I think this is a summary of the entry points into one of the above
DLLs for the benefit of other code wanting to link against it, but I'm
not sure.

For whatever reason, most other things do not have all three files.

You only see a .pyd and a .dll when there's a Python wrapper extension
*and* an underlying 3rd party library.

Thanks, I understand now.

I do not know whether upgrades (like 3.0.0 to 3.0.1) would clobber other
things added here.

It would, but not in a harmful way.

By 'clobber', I meant 'delete', and I do not see how that would not be harmful ;-). I don't know whether the intaller creates a new directory (and deletes the old), clears and reuses the old, or merely replaces individual files.

tjr