Martin v. Löwis wrote:
Can I ask which flavour of Sphinx is being used to build the py3k docs?

The proper procedure to build the documentation is

make update
make htmlhelp #say

I think you misunderstood my question. I can build the docs
for 2.x, say -- have done so, in fact many times. I was simply trying to use Python 3.x itself
to build the docs for Python 3.x, not realising at first
that Sphinx (and docutils, Jinja etc.) won't actually
run under 3.x.
Of course, as I later realised, I can just build them with
an existing 2.x install. I think I was sort of hoping to
have it produce its own dogfood, so to speak :)

TJG