On Tue, 24 Mar 2009 at 07:53, Steve Holden wrote:
I don't claim to have all the answers, but distutils and setuptools are
for the savvy users - people who build distros and those who maintain
their own systems independent of their distribution's packaging
standard. As time goes by, however, and the Lunix installed base
continues to grow, the majority of users will expect to rely on the
standard installation mechanisms of their distribution, and that will
never be setuptools or distutils.

+1.

Or any other Python-only package manager.

And that goes at least double for Windows :)

I am (among other things) a software developer, and I am quite capable of
maintaining my own python installation outside the system one, and do so
for testing and development.  But for anything else, I rely on the system
package manager to install my Python packages.  If the extension hasn't
been packaged for my distribution, I typically will either not use it,
or I will install it somewhere other than the system default location.

--
R. David Murray           http://www.bitdance.com