On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 5:22 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/3/27 Guido van Rossum <gu...@python.org>:
>> - keep distutils, but start deprecating certain higher-level
>> functionality in it (e.g. bdist_rpm)
>> - don't try to provide higher-level functionality in the stdlib, but
>> instead let third party tools built on top of these core APIs compete
>
> Please don't move bdist_wininst out of the core, though!
>
> I'd argue that Windows is a special case, as many Windows users don't
> have the ability to build their own extensions,

Hmmmm ... what about devs (me?) trying to build installers for
multiple platforms being in a single OS (let's say Ubuntu ...) ? IMO
in this case where policies are unique for a particular OS-flavour
(deb, rpms, and so on ...) ... there should be a single way to package
your app and to conform to the standards agreed by distros (e.g.
Debian) and maintainers ... isnt it enough std to be in stdlib ? I'd
really like to have those (... at least the most influential systems
... rpm, debs, and maybe two or three more that I'm missing here ...)

Indeed I'd like to know the arguments behind «deprecating certain
higher-level functionality in it (e.g. bdist_rpm)» BTW ... perhaps
they'r self-explanatory and therefore I should not be asking this at
all ... :P

--
Regards,

Olemis.

Blog ES: http://simelo-es.blogspot.com/
Blog EN: http://simelo-en.blogspot.com/

Featured article:
Comandos : Pipe Viewer ... ¿Qué está pasando por esta tubería?