Correct me if I wrong, but shouldn't Python include function for
version comparisons?

On the packaging summit yesterday, people agreed that yes, we should
have something like that in the standard library, and it should be more
powerful than what distutils currently offers.

There was no conclusion of how specifically that functionality should
be offered; several people agreed that Python should mandate a standard
format, which it is then able to compare. So you might not be able to
spell it "10.3.40-beta", but perhaps "10.3.40b1" or "10.3.40~beta".

Regards,
Martin