On Mar 27, 2009, at 9:25 PM, P.J. Eby wrote:

At 03:06 PM 3/27/2009 -0500, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
They both aim at the
 same goal besides a few differences, and they both rely
 on a new metadata introduced by setuptools, wich is.
 "install_requires". This new metadata extends the metadata.
 described in PEP 314 but is slightly different from.
 what is descibred in the Draft PEP 345  ("Requires").
..
 PEP 345 introduces "Requires" and "Provides" wich are
 are implemented in Distutils and PyP, but are not
 widely used. 40 out of +4000 if I remember correctly. Martin will
 correct me here if I am wrong.

FYI, The reason setuptools uses a different way of specifying requirements is that the PEP-proposed way could not be used without some kind of indexed repository of packages -- and PyPI did not index "provides" at the time. Also, the PEP-proposed versioning scheme was not compatible with the versioning schemes actually used in the field at the time.

There's a deeper issue IMO. As Kevin pointed out, distutil's Requires data works at the module and package level, rather than at the project level. I can see some value in this, but I think working at the project level is a lot simpler and more practically useful.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton
Zope Corporation