On Mar 28, 2009, at 9:33 AM, Eric Smith wrote:
To be concrete, I think distutils should support (among other things):
- entry points for plugins
- entry points as used for producing console and windowed "scripts"

This strikes me as a nice-to-have, but:

1. I don't think they're two distinct features.
2. I'm not convinced these should go in distutils.

I'd rather see an API to get resources from a package, and conventions can be developed among tool developers on how to store that information in a named resource.

- dependency declarations for other python packages

This is the most important requirement here, I think.

As part of this, I'd want to be able to say things like "PIL, with JPEG and PNG support compiled in."

- dependency declarations for non-python packages

This would be very nice to have, but I suspect this is actually much more difficult than Python package dependencies, especially with any pretense at cross-platform expressions of dependencies.

PJE pointed out "A library that targets Python 2.4 and 2.5 and uses wsgiref, sqlite, ctypes, or ElementTree, for example, may have different dependencies depending on the version it is being installed in." Is that something we want to support?

Even simple cases present issues with regard to this. For example, I work on a project that relies on the uuid module, so we declare a dependency on Ka-Ping Ye's uuid module (since we're using Python 2.4). How should we write that in a version-agnostic way if we want to use the standard library version of that module with newer Pythons?

  -Fred

--
Fred Drake   <fdrake at acm.org>