Aahz wrote:
On Mon, Mar 30, 2009, Terry Reedy wrote:
Michael Urman wrote:
Guido:
We're switching to Mercurial (Hg).
And two hours later, GNOME announces their migration to git is
underway. I'd suspect a series of April Fools jokes, if it weren't two
days early. :)
Like Python, Gnome was/is using SVN and tested (at least) GIT, bzr, and hg mirrors, starting somewhat earlier than Python, for DVCS migration. As announced in January, the majority of *their* developers preferred GIT. They started conversion then, in January, and made a progress announcement on March 19 (not yesterday).
http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnome.devel.announce/15

I fail to see any joke.  Different people have different tool preferences.

As Michael said, joke suspicion comes from the timing.

In private email, he explained that the py-dev announcement from Guido landed in his mailbox right next to a 'gnome-dev' request to cease commits until the GIT changeover was complete. That coincidence, coupled with his personal git preference and not having closely followed the evaluating process of either group, lead to his reaction. He also disavowed any intention to start a new bikeshed discussion.

Terry