Hey All,

I have to admit to not having the willpower to plough through the 200 unread messages in the packaging thread when I got back from PyCon but just wanted to throw out a few thoughts on what my python packaging utopia would look like:

- python would have a package format that included version numbers and dependencies.

- this package format would "play nice" with os-specific ideas of how packages should be structured.

- python itself would have a version number, so it could be treated as just another dependency by packages (ie: python >=2.3,<3)

- python would ship with a package manager that would let you install and uninstall python packages, resolving dependencies in the process and complaining if it couldn't or if there were clashes

- this package manager would facilitate the building of os-specific packages (.deb, .rpm) including providing dependency information, so making life *much* easier for these packagers.

- the standard library packages would be no different from any other package, and could be overridden as and when new versions became available on PyPI, should an end user so desire. They would also be free to have their own release lifecycles (unittest, distutils, email, I'm looking at you!)

- python would still ship "batteries included" with versions of these packages appropriate for the release, to keep those in corporate shackles or with no network happy. In fact, creating application-specific "bundles" like this would become trivial, helping those who have apps where they want to ship as single, isolated lumps which the os-specific package managers could use without having to worry about any python package dependencies.

Personally I feel all of the above are perfectly possible, and can't see anyone being left unhappy by them. I'm sure I've missed something then, otherwise why not make it happen?

cheers,

Chris

           - http://www.simplistix.co.uk