Mark Dickinson wrote:
One PyCon 2009 sprint later, Eric Smith and I have
produced the py3k-short-float-repr branch, which implements
short repr of floats and also does some major cleaning
up of the current float formatting functions.
We've gone for the {fast, correct} pairing.
We'd like to get this into Python 3.1.

Any thoughts/objections/counter-proposals/...?

As part of the decision process, we've tried this on several buildbots, and it has been successful on at least:

AMD64 Gentoo:
http://www.python.org/dev/buildbot/3.x/amd64%20gentoo%203.x/builds/592

PPC Debian unstable:
http://www.python.org/dev/buildbot/3.x/ppc%20Debian%20unstable%203.x/builds/584

Sparc Solaris 10:
http://www.python.org/dev/buildbot/3.x/sparc%20solaris10%20gcc%203.x/builds/493

The Sparc test failed, but that wasn't our fault! Our tests succeeded.

These builds are in addition to x86 Linux and x86 Mac, which we've developed on.

Eric.