I know the subject of external dependencies came up here in the discussion
about Mercurial.  I just saw this on the Mercurial mailing list.  Perhaps it
will be of interest to our hg mavens.

Skip

--- Begin Message ---
Hi,

I've recently cloned the deps extension, originally developed by Aleix
Conchillo Flaque, and have made some improvements. I'd love to hear your
comments.

   http://ratatanek.cz/hg/hgdeps

It should work with version 1.0 and above (tested on 1.0 and 1.2.1).

The extension allows you to comfortably work with external dependencies.
The dependency lists are versioned and can be quickly applied with 'hg
depupdate' command.

The easiest way to start is to define the dependencies you'll be using.

$ hg depalias gui http://ratatanek.cz/hg/gui

A file named .hgdeps will appear in your working dir. Don't forget to
commit! Use 'hg dep' to move and update dependencies.

$ hg dep gui lib/gui v0.1

You can always check the state of your dependencies with 'hg -v
depstatus'. After you make sure your project works correctly with the
new dependency or the new version of an old dependency, commit your
changes and then run 'hg depcommit', which will record your changes into
.hgdeps file and automatically commit them. Think of this command the
same way you think about 'hg tag'. You can safely run 'hg depcommit'
after each 'hg commit', the dependency list will only be recorded if
some changes were made.

$ hg depcommit
$ hg log
changeset:   6:7be195f652bf
tag:         tip
user:        Martin Vejnar <ava...@ratatanek.cz>
date:        Tue Apr 07 14:19:29 2009 +0200
summary:     Updated dependency list for changeset 7220338eb0ac

changeset:   5:7220338eb0ac
user:        Martin Vejnar <ava...@ratatanek.cz>
date:        Sat Apr 04 16:44:40 2009 +0200
summary:     Updated gui to v0.2 and fixed dependent code.

You can also use the extension to work with svn dependencies. Read 'hg
help hgdeps' for more info.

I'm planning on wrapping 'hg up', 'hg st' and 'hg ci' to automatically
run 'hg depup', 'hg depst' and 'hg depci', respectively. This way, the
management of dependencies would be completely transparent.

Hope you like it,
--
Martin