On Apr 9, 2009, at 2:25 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

This is an interesting question, and something I'm struggling with for the email package for 3.x. It turns out to be pretty convenient to have
both a bytes and a string API, both for input and output, but I think
email really wants to be represented internally as bytes.  Maybe.  Or
maybe just for content bodies and not headers, or maybe both. Anyway, aside from that decision, I haven't come up with an elegant way to allow
/output/ in both bytes and strings (input is I think theoretically
easier by sniffing the arguments).

If you allow for content-transfer-encoding: 8bit, I think there is just
no way to represent email as text. You have to accept conversion to,
say, base64 (or quoted-unreadable) when converting an email message to
text.

Agreed. But applications will want to deal with some parts of the message as text on the boundaries. Internally, it should be all bytes (although even that is a pain to write ;).

-Barry