On Apr 15, 2009, at 12:15 PM, M.-A. Lemburg wrote:

The much more common use case is that of wanting to have a base package
installation which optional add-ons that live in the same logical
package namespace.

The PEP provides a way to solve this use case by giving both developers
and users a standard at hand which they can follow without having to
rely on some non-standard helpers and across Python implementations.

I'm not sure I understand what advantage your proposal gives over the current mechanism for doing this.

That is, add to your __init__.py file:

from pkgutil import extend_path
__path__ = extend_path(__path__, __name__)

Can you describe the intended advantages over the status-quo a bit more clearly?

James