> > Since both have had to deal with this, have you looked at what they
> > actually do before proposing PEP 383?  What did you find?
>
> See
>
> http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-3000/2007-September/010450.html

Thanks, that's very useful.

> > Why did you choose an incompatible approach for PEP 383?
>
> Because in Python, we want to be able to access all files on disk.
> Neither Java nor Mono are capable of doing that.

OK, so what's wrong with os.listdir() and similar functions returning a
unicode string for strings that correctly encode/decode, and with byte
strings for strings that are not valid unicode?

The file I/O functions already seem to deal with byte strings correctly, you
never get byte strings on platforms that are fully unicode, and they are
well supported.

Tom