Martin v. Löwis wrote:

Because utf8b (or, perhaps "UTF-8b") is the official name for this
algorithm:
http://hyperreal.org/~est/utf-8b/

Thank you for the link.  It starts:
"This directory contains a C implementation of a UTF-8b codec.
A Python codec based on it is provided as well."

'RTF-8b' consists, obviously, 'UTF-8' plus 'b', with the 'b' signifying a variation of or addition to UTF-8. The 'b', and only the 'b', refers to the innovative error-handler that was added to the existing 'UTF-8' codec/algorithm. The name of the combined whole is not the name of the part.

If you were incorporating the Python-wrapped utf-8b *codec* as a codec, which is what I once thought *because you used that name*, then calling it 'utf-8b' would be fine. But you apparently instead proposed and implemented an *error-handler*, which seems to me to be something else, and which will not be specific to utf-8 but usable with any codec. Hence some of us think it should have a different name.

I gather that you lifted the error-handler part of the algorithm and propose to use it with *any* ascii-respecting codec. I could claim that the 'official name' of that part is 'b', but I think we can find a better name.

Terry Jan Reedy