At 11:20 PM 7/8/2009 -0400, Eric Smith wrote:
P.J. Eby wrote:
ISTM that the problem that it solves is uninstall in the absence of
the original installer.
Or uninstall where the installer is "setup.py install", actually.

I think we need to move away from "setup.py install". It's the antithesis of static metadata.

Please note that that's entirely out of scope for the PEP at hand.

That being said, the rest of your proposal is strikingly similar to a proposal I previously floated on the distutils-sig for a concept called BUILDS. The main difference is that I suggested that the spec should include a standard interface for running build operations that would produce the manifest (equivalent to your setup.info), and that distutils and setuptools should provide setup.py commands to generate said manifest, to allow for a seamless transition.

There was very little comment on the proposal, perhaps because it involves a lot of work that most people are sane enough not to sign up for. ;-)

(Or more to the point, it's the sort of thing that never gets off the ground for design by consensus. The best way to make something like your proposal to happen is to go off and build it, and get it to take over. If it can't win substantial market share on its own merits, it probably doesn't deserve to be blessed as a standard.)