On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 3:42 AM, Sridhar
Ratnakumar<sridh...@activestate.com> wrote:
> Other than easy_install/pip, there is also PyPM which is being developed at
> ActiveState. PyPM is the Python package manager much like what ppm is for
> ActivePerl.

Great ! besides the RECORD file, anything remark on the PEP from a
PyPM point of view ?
Once Paul has finished to work on the PEP 302 part of the prototype,
maybe we could try it out
on PyPM to see how it fits ?

> Eventually, I'd like PEP 376 to support system packagers too. So for
> example, if you did "apt-get install python-pyqt4", then running "pip
> install python-pyqt4" should return without installing anything .. as RECORD
> will be part of the .deb previously installed. As for generating the RECORD
> file, I vote for generating it during install time (w/ absolute paths).

That should be possible for all "python setup.py install"-based systems
e.g. stating that if python-pyqt4 is already installed and if the
INSTALLER file contains
another name than "pip", pip should not try to do anything with it.