Steven Bethard wrote:
On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 10:49 PM, Terry Reedy <tjre...@udel.edu> wrote:
As someone who likes .format() and who already uses such bound methods to
print, such as in

emsg = "...".format
  if c: print(emsg(arg, barg))

I find this **MUCH** preferable to the ugly and seemingly unnecessary
wrapper class idea being bandied about. This would be scarcely worse than
passing the string itself.

But it's not much of a transition plan.

It is a 'plan' to transition from not being able to use the new formatting, which I prefer, throughout the stdlib, to being able to do so.

I believe most, even if not all, find that acceptable. Certainly, I think you should be able to implement the above for argparse before submitting it. And I would hope that 3.2, in a year, is generally .format usable.

This is the first step in a possible long-term replacement, but there is currently no consensus to do any more than this. So I think it premature to do any more. I would agree, for instance, that an auto-translation tool is needed.

Terry Jan Reedy