Arc Riley <arcri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1 on ending with 2.6.

That seems precipitous.

> I'm the maintainer of 3rd party Python 3-only packages and have ported a few
> modules that we needed with some help from the 2to3 tool.  It's really not a
> big deal - and Py3 really is a massive improvement.
>
> The main thing holding back the community are lazy and/or obstinate package
> maintainers.

I wouldn't say that.  For instance, I'm just starting a refactoring that will
result in getmail v.5, but I need to target Python 2.5 and up, so there's
essentially no way the code will run in Python 3.x (as another list member
posted).

Why do I need to target Python 2.5?  Because that's the most current default
version of Python shipped in Debian stable and various other distributions
that don't stay on the bleeding edge.  getmail v.4 targeted Python 2.3 and up,
getmail v.3 targeted Python 1.5.2 and up.  I may be able to target Python 2.6
in a year or two, at which point Python 3 compatibility becomes a reasonable
goal.

Saying "2.6 is the last Python 2.x" seems to me to be a death sentence for
Python 3.  People will stay with 2.x much longer than you seem to want them
to, and making it harder for them to upgrade will only hurt Python 3.

Charles