> A Python 3 version of NumPy might be enough of an improvement to bring
> *more* scientists and engineers onboard if the Python 3.x version shows
> what great productivity gains are to be had with Python 3.x over 2.x.

I would be really surprised if 2.7 would simplify porting to 3.x. How
could that possibly work?

(and no, adding things like nonlocal to 2.7 doesn't making porting of
a real application or library any easier, since the existing application
or library simply doesn't use that keyword. In fact, no change to 2.x
can reasonably simplify porting - only changes to 3.x might - except
for changes to 2to3, which can simplify porting a lot. But 2to3 should
be run under 3.x, IMO.)

Regards,
Martin