Ah, yes.  In my particular case, I'm running a cluster of hundreds of nodes,
supporting 50.000 players in a real-time space simulation.  We disable GC
because of its unpredictable performance impact and are careful to avoid
reference cycles.  We use gc from time to time to _find_ those cases that our
programmers have missed, and fix them.  This is how I stumbled upon this
particular reference cycle that even a high level programmer would not have
expected to have created.  This is, IMHO the best use you can make of "gc":
Help you code well, not let you cope with sloppy code :)