> And IMO the choice of "~=" or "=~" for the range match should be
> avoided, since that looks like the regexp search operator in Perl, and
> there "~= 3" would match "3", "3.0.4", and "2.3.5".  The next obvious
> interpretation is "fuzzy match", but that doesn't have an obvious,
> more specific meaning.  The usual comparson operators do have pretty
> obvious interpretations, and are not hard to use.

On distutils-sig, a vocal fraction seems to think otherwise. From my
short interaction there, I now think that comparison operators are
indeed hard to use, and that the concept of a half-open interval,
and how you can use relational operators involving the endpoints
to denote it, is (apparently) *quite* advanced. More specifically,
people fail to notice that saying "X.Y or X.Y+1" still specifies
an interval. Being confronted with ">=X.Y, <X.Y+2", they quickly
agree that it's equivalent.

Regards,
Martin