"M.-A. Lemburg" <m...@egenix.com> writes:

> Naive users won't have PYTHONPATH or any other Python environment
> variables setup.
>
> Really, if you know that you are going to run Python 3 instead of
> Python 2 or vice-versa it's easy enough to run

You don't even know that you're going to run python. I have 40 python
scripts in my /usr/bin directory.

> . py3env.sh
> or
> . py2env.sh
>
> in order to setup your shell environment, much like you typically
> do when using virtual Python installations or work on different
> projects that require different setups.

No, thanks. I'd rather setup my shell environment in ~/.zshrc, once.

> If you just want to separate Python 2 and 3 files, use the
> user site-packages dir which includes the Python version.

Both the bzr and mercurial wiki recommend setting PYTHONPATH in order to
install those programs in a user's home directory. There are still
people running python <2.6.