> With my "downstream distributor of Python" hat on, I'm wondering if it
> would be feasible to replace the current precompiled .pyc/.pyo files in
> marshal format with .so/.dll files in platform-specific shared-library
> format, so that the pre-compiled versions of the stdlib could be
> memory-mapped and shared between all Python processes on a system.

I don't think replacing the byte code will be feasible, at least not
without breaking compatibility (else f.func_code.co_code would stop
working).

I also think you are overestimating the potential for sharing: much
of what lives in pyc files are actual Python objects, which need to
be reference-counted; doing this in a shared fashion is not feasible.

Regards,
Martin