[...]
> To give an example, what if when Distribute uses `shutil.unpack_archive` to
> unpack a sdist from PyPI (the author generated the archive with u-r,u-x set
> on files/directoreis -- I've seen this happening before), the subsequent
> "python setup.py install" would fail due to permission issue?

That's an issue to be fixed by the author of the archive imho.  IOW,
if someone produces an archive that can't be used as-is, fixing it
yourself afterwards can be a good workaround I guess in the
ActiveState packaging system, but it's still a workaround on a
specific bug introduced by the author (not by the tar system)

[..]
> How about having an extra argument that would fix the permission? (Fixing
> the permission is only applicable for tarfile, not zipfile, hence even our
> callable will become specific to tarfile).
>
>  >>> shutil.unpack_archive("/tmp/foo.tgz", "/tmp", make_readable=True)
>  >>> help(shutil.unpack_archive)
>  [...]
>  If `make_readable` is True, then files with limited permission (cannot
>  be read) will be fixed to make them readable by the current user.

That's still the same specific use case. Out of curiosity, how many
archives have you had the
problem with ?

If like I think, this is quite rare, I am -1 to introduce it that way
because you could handle with a generic callable as mentioned.

Regards
Tarek

--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org