On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 10:44 AM, Tres Seaver <tsea...@palladion.com> wrote:

> Collin Winter wrote:
>
>> For reference, what are these "obscure platforms" where static
>> initializers cause problems?
>
> It's been a long while since I had to deal with it, but the "usual
> suspets" back in the day were HP-UX, AIX, and Solaris with non-GCC
> compilers, as well as Windows when different VC RT libraries got into
> the mix.

So then the question is, will this cause any problems we care about?
Do the problems still exist, or were they eliminated in the time
between "back in the day" and now? In what circumstances do static
initializers have problems? What problems do they have? Can the
obscure platforms work around the problems by configuring with
--without-llvm? If we eliminate static initializers in LLVM, are there
any other problems?

We really do need precise descriptions of the problems so we can avoid them.

Thanks,
Jeffrey