On 27-01-2010, Collin Winter wrote:
> Hi William,
>
> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 7:26 AM, William Dode <w...@flibuste.net> wrote:
>> Hi (as a simple user),
>>
>> I'd like to know why you didn't followed the same way as V8 Javascript,
>> or the opposite, why for V8 they didn't choose llvm ?
>>
>> I imagine that startup time and memory was also critical for V8.
>
> Startup time and memory usage are arguably *more* critical for a
> Javascript implementation, since if you only spend a few milliseconds
> executing Javascript code, but your engine takes 10-20ms to startup,
> then you've lost. Also, a minimized memory profile is important if you
> plan to embed your JS engine on a mobile platform, for example, or you
> need to run in a heavily-multiprocessed browser on low-memory consumer
> desktops and netbooks.
>
> Among other reasons we chose LLVM, we didn't want to write code
> generators for each platform we were targeting. LLVM has done this for
> us. V8, on the other hand, has to implement a new code generator for
> each new platform they want to target. This is non-trivial work: it
> takes a long time, has a lot of finicky details, and it greatly
> increases the maintenance burden on the team. We felt that requiring
> python-dev to understand code generation on multiple platforms was a
> distraction from what python-dev is trying to do -- develop Python. V8
> still doesn't have x86-64 code generation working on Windows
> (http://code.google.com/p/v8/issues/detail?id=330), so I wouldn't
> underestimate the time required for that kind of project.

Thanks for this answer.

The startup time and memory comsumption are a limitation of llvm that
their developers plan to resolve or is it only specific to the current
python integration ? I mean the work to correct this is more on U-S or
on llvm ?

thanks (and sorry for my english !)

--
William Dodé - http://flibuste.net