> Exactly. How would you define where the pyr folder goes? At the root
> of a package? What if I delete the __init__.py file there? Will the
> existing pyr folder be orphaned and a new one created in each
> subfolder? Unlike VCS working copies, the package / module / script
> hierarchy is not formally defined in python.

The module name could guide the location. If you are importing
xml.dom.minidom, it could put the pyc file into a sibling of the pyc
folder for xml (under the name xml.dom.minidom.<label>).

If you then remove __init__, you are no longer able to import xml.dom,
but you might import dom.minidom (assuming you put the xml folder into
sys.path). Then, a new pyc file would be created in the pyc folder for
the dom package.

Regards,
Martin