On 14 Apr, 2010, at 19:41, s...@pobox.com wrote:

>    Ronald> Creating the Mac installer is easy: just run
>    Ronald> Mac/BuildScript/build-installer.py on an OSX 10.5 system where a
>    Ronald> local version of Tcl/Tk 8.4 is installed in
>    Ronald> /Library/Frameworks. The system should also not have fink or
>    Ronald> darwinports and a clean /usr/local tree to avoid contaminating
>    Ronald> the build.
>
> For those of us who live in an X11 world and use tools which Apple doesn't
> provide, like it or not, Fink or MacPorts are often a practical necessity.
> Would it be sufficient to modify the environment so that /sw, /opt/local and
> /usr/local don't appear in any paths when the script is run?  On my laptop
> (MacPorts installed, not Fink) I see that MANPATH, PATH and INFOPATH are
> currently "polluted" with /opt/local.  MANPATH and PATH contain /usr/local.

/usr/local/lib and /usr/local/include must be empty, or at least not contain
anything that might be used by the python build. AFAIK it is practically
impossible[1] to tell the compiler to exclude /usr/local from its search paths.

Fink and Macports must be disabled because Python's setup.py actively looks in
those directory for dependencies (such as for BerkelyDB).   I wouldn't mind
having a configure switch that disables looking in the default Fink and
Macports trees, but don't have time to work on that myself.

BTW. Excluding these locations is only needed when building the official
installer, you can obviously just keep them around when you build and use
Python locally.

I tend to move /usr/local aside when I build the installer and move it back
afterwards, and have used an mostly empty virtual machine for the last couple
of releases.

Ronald

[1] that is, the only way I've found it to tell gcc not to use any search paths
at all and manually specify all search paths, including compiler-specific
directories.