Barry Warsaw schrieb:
> On Apr 18, 2010, at 07:30 PM, Eric Smith wrote:
>
>> Steven Bethard wrote:
>>> By the way, we could simplify the typical add_argument usage by adding
>>> "show program's version number and exit" as the default help for the
>>> 'version' action. Then you should just write:
>>>
>>>     parser.add_argument('--version', action='version', version='<the
>>> version>')
>>
>> I like this the best. I don't like argparse adding arguments for me.
>
> I concur.  This gives me all the flexibility I need to make my programs accept
> exactly the arguments I want and print exactly the information I want to
> present.

But you had this possibility all the time!

No deprecation or removal of the simple and convenient 'version'
argument is needed for this.  Just omit it, and build your version
action yourself.  But please notice that there are others who appreciate
this simple way to do it and don't need more.

--
Tobias