Michael Foord wrote:
> On 01/05/2010 00:08, Benjamin Peterson wrote:

>>> Oops, sorry but what does "a 2x4 to the forehead" mean?
>>> (and "plaintitive" by the way?)
>>>
>> The former means being hit by a board and by the latter, he probably
>> means "plaintive" meaning melancholy.
>>

> And 2x4 refers to a board with cross-section of 4 inches x 2 inches; the
> inch being an obsolete unit of measure from the old British imperial
> system now defunct throughout the civilized world.

The last time I was in a UK builders' yard I hear someone asking for
"two meter pieces of two by four". At the time the UK was notionally
metric (and the timber was planed to the nearest metric size) but the
old names still survived.

regards
 Steve
See PyCon Talks from Atlanta 2010  http://pycon.blip.tv/