On 6/20/2010 3:59 PM, Jesse Noller wrote:

I suspect; if we were to keep pushing the concept of sponsored sprints
/ bounties on Python 3 library porting, we could see things pick up
donation wise. I've long suspected that there are companies out there
who do have funds, but lack a target, and don't see a general PSF
donation as directly beneficial to their goals (although we will
continue to work to convince them otherwise).

Universities **love** unrestricted donations to their general fund. But they bow to human nature and accept and even seek all kinds of targeted donations: buildings, rooms, departments, centers, institutes, programs, professorships, scholarships, research projects, curriculum developments projects, and so on. (Of course, the desire to target on the part of donors is also in part a recognition of human nature, that unrestricted funds might be used frivolously or even in a way that the donor considers obnoxious.) I think it would be great

So I think it good that you/PSF try doing the same. And do not ignore individuals.

Terry Jan Reedy