Antoine Pitrou <solip...@pitrou.net> wrote:

> OS X is only "a supported and important platform" if we have dedicated
> core developers diagnosing or even fixing issues for it (like we
> obviously have for Windows and Linux). Otherwise, I don't think we have
> any moral obligation to support it.

Fair enough.

That being said, there are two classes of OS X issues.  The first is the
kind of thing that Ronald Oussoren and Ned Deily keep fixing for us,
which require a knowledge of OS X frameworks and SDKs and various other
deeply-Apple oddnesses.  But the second class is a set of UNIX issues,
where OS X is just a variant of UNIX with minor differences from other
UNIX platforms.

It looks to me as if we don't really need Apple geeks for the second
class of issues, we just need developers who have a Mac to test on.

It looks to me, for instance, as if the failures in test_py3kwarn and
test_uuid on Leopard are bugs in the Python testing framework that
happen to be exercised on OS X, rather than bugs caused in some way by
the platform.  There, the requisite knowledge is, how does regrtest.py
really work?

Bill