On Jun 24, 2010, at 10:58 AM, Benjamin Peterson wrote:

>2010/6/24 Barry Warsaw <ba...@python.org>:
>> Please let me know what you think.  I'm happy to just commit this to the
>> py3k branch if there are no objections <wink>.  I don't think a new PEP is
>> in order, but an update to PEP 3147 might make sense.
>
>How will this interact with PEP 384 if that is implemented?

Good question, I'd forgotten to mention that PEP.

I think the PEP is a good idea, and worth working on, but it is a longer term
solution to the problem of extension source code compatibility.  It's longer
term because extensions will have to be rewritten to use the new API defined
in PEP 384.  It will take a long time to get this into practice, and
supporting it will be a case-by-case basis.

I'm trying to come up with something that will work immediately while PEP 384
is being adopted.

-Barry