On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 2:05 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull <step...@xemacs.org>wrote:

> > But join('x', 'y') -> 'x/y' and join(b'x', b'y') -> b'x/y' make
>  > sense to me.
>  >
>  > So, actually, I *don't* understand what you mean by needing LBYL.
>
> Consider docutils.  Some folks assert that URIs *are* bytes and should
> be manipulated as such.  So base URIs should be bytes.

I don't get what you are arguing against.  Are you worried that if we make
URL code polymorphic that this will mean some code will treat URLs as bytes,
and that code will be incompatible with URLs as text?  No one is arguing we
remove text support from any of these functions, only that we allow bytes.

--
Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org