On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 5:21 PM, Georg Brandl <g.bra...@gmx.net> wrote:
..
> Problem is, in the case of help() we have no way of knowing whether the
> given __doc__ string is supposed to be (mini)reST.

I am against mark-up in doc-strings, but this problem can be easily
solved by placing a magic character at __doc__[0] to indicate that the
rest is  (mini)reST.  The magic character should be chosen to be
inconspicuous and unlikely to appear at the start of a plain-text
docstting.  For example, any type closing braces, ), }. ] will do, or
any end of sentence punctuation such as . or !.