On Sun, Jul 25, 2010 at 12:32 PM, Ron Adam <r...@ronadam.com> wrote:
..
>> I'd be completely fine with dropping the "Search For" box from the GUI
>> interface, but the persistent window listing the served port and
>> providing "Open Browser" and "Quit Serving" buttons still seems quite
>> useful even without the search box (When running "python -m pydoc -p
>> 8080&", it took me a moment to figure out how to kill the server I
>> had started).

Why not simply have  "Quit Serving" next to the search button in the
served pages?  The server can even serve a friendly page explaining
how it can be restarted before quitting.
..
> Another way to communicate to the server would be to add a link in the
> browser to open a server status page.  For example my router has a configure
> page where I can check it's status and do other things.  That might be
> something worth exploring at some later date.

This would work as well, but for starters, I think "Search" and "Quit"
buttons next to each other will be most familiar to the users of the
current Tk-based control window.