On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 9:06 AM, Barry Warsaw <ba...@python.org> wrote:

> On Jul 24, 2010, at 07:08 AM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> >privileges enough. So, my recommendation (which surely is a
> >turn-around of my *own* attitude in the past) is to give out more
> >commit privileges sooner.
>
> +1, though I'll observe that IME, actual commit privileges become much less
> of
> a special badge once a dvcs-based workflow is put in place.  In the absence
> of
> that, I agree that we have enough checks and balances in place to allow
> more
> folks to commit changes

Even with DVCS in place, commit privileges allow the person who cares about
a change to move it forward, including the more mechanical aspects.  E.g. if
there are positive reviews of a person's changes in their fork, they can
push those changes in.  Or more generally, there's a lot of ways of getting
approval, but limited commit privileges means all approval must ultimately
be funneled through someone with commit.  Also different parts of the
codebase should have different levels of review and conservativism; e.g.,
adding clarifications to the docs requires a different level of review than
changing stuff in the core.  We could try to build that into the tools, but
it's a lot easier to make the tools permissive and build these distinctions
into social structures.

--
Ian Bicking  |  http://blog.ianbicking.org