Am 05.09.2010 19:22, schrieb "Martin v. Löwis":
> I know the PEP is accepted, but I would still like to see some
> changes/clarifications.
>
> 1. What is the effect of this PEP on Windows? Is this a Linux-only
>    feature? If not, who is going to provide the changes for Windows?
>    (More specifically: if this is indeed meant for Windows, and
>    if no Windows implementation arrives before 3.2b1, I'd ask that
>    the changes be rolled back, and integration is deferred until there
>    is Windows support)

I don't think Windows support is planned or necessary; after all, isn't the
default installation mode on Windows to install every Python version into
its own root direction (C:\PythonXY)?

> 2. Why does the PEP recommend installing stuff into /usr/share/pyshared?
>    According to the Linux FHS, /usr/share is for Architecture-
>    independent data, see
>
> http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#USRSHAREARCHITECTUREINDEPENDENTDATA
>    In particular, it's objective is that you can NFS-share it across,
>    say, both SPARC Linux and x86 Linux. I believe the PEP would break
>    this, as SPARC and x86 executables would override each other.

Indeed.  I think this is probably just an oversight and should be corrected
in the PEP.  However, it's the distributions' call anyway.

> 3. When the PEP recommends that stuff gets installed into pyshared,
>    why does the patch then not implement this recommendation, but
>    continues installing files into lib-dynload?

That section is talking about files installed by distributions, which need
to take special steps to get everything into /usr/{lib,share}/pyshared; a
standard out-of-the-tarball install will not change the way it is installed.

It may well be that Barry had his Ubuntu hat on a bit too firmly when writing
that PEP :)

Georg