-On [20101004 22:03], Barry Warsaw (ba...@python.org) wrote:
>We already have libpython3.2.so.1.0 which also doesn't end in .so.  I suppose
>we could put the build flags before the .so. part, but I think Matthias had a
>problem with that (I don't remember the details).

Using major and minor numbers after the .so designation is an old aout
(de facto) standard. ELF settled on just major numbers.
And typically you will find a symbolic link from libwhatever.so to
libwhatever.so.1

Also, from FreeBSD's ldconfig manual page:

"Filenames must conform to the lib*.so.[0-9] pattern in order to be added to
the hints file."

So ending a shared object with the build flags will cause problems on
FreeBSD and probably the other BSDs (DragonFly, NetBSD, OpenBSD) and most
likely Mac OS X as well.

イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
Time is merely a residue of Reality...