On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 14:44, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.ta...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 9:31 PM, Brett Cannon <br...@python.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Let's use pysetup !

>>> +1.
>>>
>>> So. Let's add pysetup in distutils2, that will be installed as a
>>> classical script. Once we move distutils2 back in the stdlib, it will
>>> be provided in Python's bin dir, so people will have the same
>>> "pysetup" name everywhere,
>>
>> I am not about to bikeshed on the name, but I would like to publicly
>> shed a single tear for no one even suggesting a Monty Python name
>> closer than "quiche". I think going with PyPI over Cheeseshop helped
>> put an end to that naming scheme, and that's a shame.
>>
>> Anyway, I can always alias pysetup to cheeseshop or ohmightytim on my
>> machine and reminisce.
>
> Hehe. What's the story behind changing the name from Cheeseshop to PyPI btw ?
> I found the first one much nicer

Richard Jones is the authority on the story, but from what I can
remember from the discussion it was decided that managers would have
had issues with using a service called the Cheeseshop. So basically
the idea of professional-sounding name won out. I still use
cheeseshop.python.org to access the package index.