On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Raymond Hettinger
<raymond.hettin...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 8, 2010, at 11:58 AM, Brett Cannon wrote:
>
>> I think we need to, as a group, decide how to handle undocumented APIs
>> that don't have a leading underscore: they get treated just the same
>> as the documented APIs, or are they private regardless and thus we can
>> change them at our whim?
>
> To start with, it doesn't hurt for a maintainer to add an __all__ entry and
> to only document the parts of the API we think need to be exposed.  That way,
> we can at least declare the parts that are intended to be public on a
> go-forward basis.

This does hurt because anyone who was relying on "import *" to get a
name which is now omitted from __all__ is going to upgrade and find
their program failing with NameErrors. This is a backwards compatible
change and shouldn't happen without a deprecation warning first.