On 11/10/2010 01:33 PM, Raymond Hettinger wrote:

On Nov 10, 2010, at 5:47 AM, Michael Foord wrote:

So it is obvious that we don't have a clearly stated policy for what defines
the public API of standard library modules.

How about making this explicit (either pep 8 or our developer docs):

I believe the point of Guido's email was that it is a situation dependent
judgment call and not readily boiled down to a set of rules for PEP 8.

The way I read Guido's email is that it is a situation dependent judgment call for those cases that aren't clear.

I think what Micheal is trying to say is for us to agree on some things so we can go forward with a little more clarity.

Cheers,
   Ron