Paul Moore <p.f.mo...@gmail.com> writes:

> Do you run your slave as a service? (And for that matter, what do
> other Windows slave owners do?) Are there any "best practices" for
> ongoing admin of a Windows buildslave that might be worth collecting
> together? (I'll try to put some notes on what I've found together -
> maybe a page on the Python wiki would be the best place to collect
> them).

I've always run my slave interactively under Windows (well, started it
interactively).  Not sure if I tried a service in the beginning or
not, it was a while ago.  So your slave is probably the guinea pig for
service operation.

There is http://wiki.python.org/moin/BuildbotOnWindows (for which I
can't take any credit).  It could probably use a little love and
updating, and it's largely aimed at setting things up, but not as much
operating it.

I think the only stuff I'm doing on my slave above and beyond the
basic setup is a small patch to buildbot (circa 2007, couldn't get it
back upstream at the time) to use SetErrorMode to disable OS pop-ups,
and the AutoIt script (from earlier this year) to auto-acknowledge C
RTL pop-ups.  The kill script in this thread as a safety net above
kill_python would be a third tweak.  There was a buildbot fix for
uploading that was only needed for the short-lived MSI generation, and
which I think later buildbot versions have their own changes for.

I'd be happy to work with you if you're willing to combine/edit our
bits of information.  Probably something we can take off-list, so just
let me know.

-- David