Alexander Belopolsky wrote:

Speaking of YAGNI, does anyone want to defend

complex('١٢٣٤.٥٦j')
1234.56j

*If* we allow float('١٢٣٤.٥٦') (as we currently do, but is being disputed by some), then we should allow complex('١٢٣٤.٥٦j'). It would be silly for complex to be more restrictive than float.

Especially given that we reject complex('1234.56i'):

I don't understand why you use 'i' when Python uses 'j' as the symbol for imaginary numbers.

>>> complex('1234.56j')
1234.56j

works fine. I have no problem with Python choosing one of i/j as the symbol for imaginary-1 and rejecting the other. I prefer i rather than j, but that's because my background is in maths rather than electrical engineering, but I can live with either.

But in any case, please don't conflate the question of whether Python should accept j and/or i for complex numbers with the question of supporting non-arabic numerals. The two issues are unrelated.

--
Steven