On Jan 5, 2011 4:45 PM, "Terry Reedy" <tjre...@udel.edu> wrote:

>> +The shortest, simplest way of running the test suite is::
>> +
>> +    ./python -m test
>

> Not on Windows.
> C:\Programs\Python32>./python -m test
> '.' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
> operable program or batch file.
>
> python -m test
>  works (until it failed, separate issue).
>
> I would like to know, insofar as possible, how to run tests from the
interpreter prompt (or IDLE simulation thereof)

> from whatmod import whatfunc; whatfunc() # ??
>
> ditto for such remaining alternatives you give as can be made from prompt.
>
> Besides the convenience for Windows users (for whom the Command Prompt
window is hidden away and possibly unknown), I think we should know if any
tests are incompatible with interactive mode.

> ---
> Terry Jan Reedy

The command prompt on Windows is no more hidden than it is on any other OS.
In fact it's easier to find than on OS X (IMO) :)

I think we do need to make *some* assumptions in the developer docs that the
reader is actually a developer (who would know where cmd is) and not a
first-time user of the OS, otherwise it becomes a computer users guide and
not a development guide.