On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 6:54 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solip...@pitrou.net> wrote:

> Well it *is* inconvenient in the case of maintainers.rst, which is
> often consulted casually for daily bug tracker work. Grepping
> Misc/maintainers.rst is much easier than first having to find again
> where your checkout of the devguide is, and ensuring it is up-to-date.
>
> Also, I see no need to put the maintainers list in the dev guide,
> actually.

Every time I see someone syncing the version-independent maintainers
list across branches a little alarm bell goes off in my head to say
that file should be somewhere other than the main source tree.

It's also quite possible that once the maintainer list is part of the
dev guide, triagers will start using the official copy on python.org
and the search function in their web browser rather than running grep
over a source checkout.

So moving the version-independent stuff certainly makes sense, but the
stuff that is dependent on a particular version's build system is more
questionable. What may make sense is for the devguide to describe the
general contents of the files in Misc, but point out that for any
given version, the version specific details in Misc take precedence.

Cheers,
Nick.

--
Nick Coghlan   |   ncogh...@gmail.com   |   Brisbane, Australia