On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 1:38 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncogh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 7:58 AM, anatoly techtonik <techto...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> To me polluting tracker with the
>> issues that are neither bugs nor feature requests only makes bug
>> triaging process and search more cumbersome.
>
> Anatoly, your constant efforts to try to force python-dev to adapt to
> *your* way of doing things, instead of being willing to work with the
> documented processes are *seriously* annoying. Which is a shame, since
> it obscures the fact that your underlying suggestions are often quite
> reasonable.

I'll abandon my efforts when you prove me that current "documented
process" is a top-notch way for all interested parties to do a quality
contributions to make Python better. So that the process is open,
straightforward, transparent and doesn't waste people's time more than
necessary to communicate a change, make it visible for all interested
parties, get feedback, polish and finally integrate.

There are many ways for improvement, but if people won't try
alternative approaches, they won't see them. I am not sure if I can
manage to get to PyCon, so I didn't do any talk preparation, but if by
chance I get there and there will be an Open Space, we can definitely
find a lot of ways to improve Python development process for general
public. As well as discuss ways to get around stdlib graveyard and
dealing with really complicated problems that won't budge over the
years - like out of the box UTC support.

The most valuable contributions are coming from professionals, and
these people often don't have enough time to follow "documented
process". In the era of information abundance you often have only 140
symbols to communicate the idea, and instead of blaming people of
annoying behavior, it might be more useful to make process intuitive
and easy to follow. If that's not possible, there should always be an
exact link to a reasonable explanation about why you need the process
to be so complicated.

So far only Georg explained what patches sent to mailing list will not
be reviewed, because there is too much volume. But bugtracker is not a
patch tracker. It doesn't allow to monitor incoming patches by module,
its search is very poor. Of course mailing lists are even worse in
this regard, but there is nothing Python community can't deal with.
The problem is to keep non-core people outside motivated, and the
biggest problem with current "documented process" is that nobody even
thinks about it.
--
anatoly t.