On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 3:26 AM, anatoly techtonik <techto...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes, there can (or even should) be a way for everybody with Python
> account to vote on items in the Roadmap and subscribe to updates (like
> commits, messages, code reviews, tweets and other stuff related to one
> item). This will give Jesse and teams a better picture, what sprints
> need funding. Tracker doesn't allow this - even though users can
> subscribe to Roundup issues, it just doesn't work for them. And the
> last distinction between Roadmap and Tracker is that the former gives
> you a quick overview of each item without going into the gory details
> of lengthy discussions.

But again, this is yet-another-tool that requires substantial
maintenance and curating. Anyone is free to create such a tool if they
want, and try to convince people to use it, and then try to convince
python-dev that feedback in that form is worth paying attention to.
You could even try to convince the PSF they should fund it. But coming
in and talking about what other people *should* do in an all-volunteer
environment is counterproductive.

Would such a tool really be a huge improvement over the python-ideas
mailing list (which is pretty freewheeling compared to what we
consider on-topic for python-dev itself), anyway? Sure, the tool would
provide more fancy features, but the barriers to participation would
also be much higher. Already, the number of people participating in
even python-list (let alone -ideas or -dev) is utterly dwarfed by the
total number of people using Python. Would a voting mechanism amongst
such a non-representative sample actually mean anything? Or is it
better to stick with the long-standing maxim of rough consensus and
running code?

All that said, if you really want a Roadmap, look at the list of
accepted, open and deferred PEPs in PEP 0. Those are the ideas that
someone has cared enough about to submit a PEP, and it hasn't been
summarily rejected by Guido (or his delegate).

For a nearer term Roadmap, you can look at the release PEP for the
upcoming release (although that is in such an early stage for 3.3 that
not only doesn't it exist yet, we don't even officially have an RM who
is going to write it).

Cheers,
Nick.

--